Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Starting again

Spence went on his first trip to fuel a rocket since his accident. I'm so proud of his dedication to accomplish his goals at work. He truly is a miracle and we have been blessed in so many ways.

About a month and a half ago I purchased the book, "In An Instant" written by Lee & Bob Woodruff. It's a thin book and I'm a pretty fast reader but it was a very emotional read for me. I just finished it yesterday and it was a triumph for me. The book is about ABC co-anchor (ex) Bob Woodruff who was hit by a roadside bomb and suffered many injuries including a severe TBI. Reading Lee's perspective was almost eerie. At moments, our lives paralleled each other and if I highlighted every part of the book that I understood or went through, 85% of that book would be underlined. I've realized in a very profound way that miracles still exist and God is really involved in each of our lives. I also realized the importance of healing through love. Spencer often talks about how he is a different person and will never be the same. That is true, but I think it changed our whole family as well. You can't go through extreme trauma, and be the same person. If anything, I have a lot more compassion and a great appreciation for the simple things in life.

Spencer did a very good job at letting the world know during his fuzzy part of recovery that we were planning on trying for our last child in June. I finally got the green light from my doctor which was a miracle all in itself and I was very excited. A good friend of mine and I decided to start working out and attending Weight Watchers again. I was actually more successful this time and was surprisingly losing weight. I felt better than I had in a long time and it was a comfort knowing that I could lose some weight before getting pregnant. But then Spencer's accident happened and my life was turned upside down. I went from losing more weight and my pants falling off to gaining a ton of weight. That very good friend of mine came up to me one week at church and told me that when I was emotionally ready, she would be there for me again. I have finally reached the point where I feel like I can take care of myself again. So, back to the gym I go and hello to WW AGAIN! It will be a very long road, but just feeling healthy will be a nice change from the last 5 months.

3 comments:

  1. This post makes me want to stand up and clap for you, Jen! I'm amazed at what Spencer is able to accomplish at work, and I'm amazed that things have calmed down enough that you're giving yourself permission to take care of YOU again! I'm excited for you that you're able to start weight watchers again and spend some time at the gym. I just hit lifetime membership last week and am so grateful for WW and what they have taught me. I'll be sending you all my spare happy, healthy thoughts your way! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you have this blog. I love reading about your family. I am glad to hear that you are investing some time into yourself again and hope that WW works for you. There are several ladies here that are in WW and feel it has really made a difference in how they look and feel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoo hoo! on making and taking time for yourself. You are the biggest rock star I know, and I know quite a few outstanding people. You're deserving of every second of it. If you need more seconds, just let me know. I'm available. WW is great, if only I were motivated.
    LOVE YOU!!

    ReplyDelete